This fabulous lemon cupcake recipe is always a definite hit for us when in need of a little afternoon pick-me-up. We love the sweet yet tangy dimensions of taste found in these little gems and adore how they work so well against the soft and creamy textures of the cake and buttercream. They’re wonderful additions to get-togethers, parties or a quick treat during the warm summer months so why not follow our lemon cupcake recipe below for a crowd-pleasing batch treats!
- FOR THE CUPCAKES... 226g Self-raising flour
- 226g Butter (or margarine suitable for baking)
- 226g Caster sugar
- 4 medium sized eggs
- Fine zest from 1 lemon
- 6 drops (approx.) of lemon extract
- FOR THE LEMON BUTTERCREAM... 250g Butter
- 200g Icing sugar (aka confectioners' sugar)
- 6 drops of lemon extract
- Pre-heat your oven to Gas Mark 3/325F/170C.
- Cream your butter in a mixer then add the caster sugar.
- Add in the flour along with half of the eggs for around one minute.
- Add the finely grated lemon zest and lemon extract.
- Once half of the eggs are combined add the remaining and mix for about 5 minutes.
- Separate the batter into each cupcake case until 2/3 full and place on the top shelf.
- Bake for around 20/25 minutes.
- Cut your butter into small cubes and cream your butter until soft. Gradually add icing sugar until a good consistency.
- Add the lemon extract and a little pink food colour. Mix well.
Our top tip when it comes to baking gorgeous cupcakes is to fill your cases carefully. It doesn’t matter how busy we are and how insane our workload gets we make sure to never spill or drip batter onto the cases. Not only does this look rather unsightly and adds burnt cake to the outer edges of your cupcake cases, but it can even hinder your cakes baking evenly! A really handy method for filling your cases is to use a disposable piping bag and pipe batter into each cases.
We fully advocate baking and making buttercream completely from scratch so we’re perfectionists when it comes to getting super silky buttercream. Our advice is to experiment, modify and test like a mad scientist! Our baked creations, buttercreams and fillings are the result of stressful late nights in the kitchen timing how long butter was whipped for, which butter performs/looks/tastes/holds better, etc. When we found a recipe that didn’t work we took it apart and adjusted it, tried again and repeated until it was perfect for us!
Make sure to pipe each cupcake with a generous swirl of buttercream and decorate however you wish. Some fantastic decor ideas include sprinkling fun popping candy on top or a dash of lemon sherbet crystals, using sugar pearls for a more subtle look, jellied fruit inspired candies or some grated lemon peel.
If you’ve followed our lemon cupcake recipe you should be left with a deliciously sweet and zesty batch of lemon treats; perfect for relaxing with in the garden. We’d highly recommend pairing these tasty cakes with tangy lemonade or a soothing cup of fruit tea for a well-deserved rest!
All photographs, designs (including all baked and decorated goods), tutorials and written content belong to and are copyright to Juniper Cakery unless otherwise stated. Please do not copy! Copying and re-publishing our work without our permission or claiming it as your own work could lead to legal action from us. If you wish to feature our work do contact us for permission.