This week we’ve put together a wonderfully adorable fondant / sugarpaste tutorial on how to create some bright shooting stars. These are perfect for baby showers, kids’ parties, birthdays or themed events. We’ve also included a recipe for deliciously sweet and tangy lemonade cupcakes which are sure to be a hit with all ages!
- 226g Self-raising flour
- 226g Caster sugar
- 226g Butter or low fat margarine
- 4 medium eggs
- 6-12 Drops lemon extract
- 250g Butter
- 200-300g Icing / confectioner's sugar
- 6-12 Drops lemon extract
- 1 Tablespoon room temperature water
- FOR THE CUPCAKES - Pre-heat the oven to Gas Mark 3 / 325 F / 170 C. Line a cupcake tray with 12 cupcakes cases.
- In a bowl cream together the butter/low fat margarine with the caster sugar until pale in colour and creamy.
- Add in the eggs.
- Once the eggs are mixed in add the flour and lemon extract. Mix until incorporated.
- Separately the mix equally between the 12 cupcake cases and bake on the middle shelf of your oven for 15-25 minutes.
- FOR THE BUTTERCREAM - Dice the butter into smaller pieces.
- In a bowl with a stand up mixer cream the butter.
- Gradually add in the icing / confectioner's sugar until it is the sweetness you like. For good buttercream you should be able to taste equal amounts of butter AND sugar.
- Add in the lemon extract and mix.
- If using low fat margarine please check the packet to see if it is suitable for baking with!
Fondant Shooting Star Decor
You will need…
Black fondant (optional)
Icing sugar to dust
Fondant rolling pin
Edible or non-toxic cake decorating glitter (optional)
Melted white chocolate
Step one: Roll out some yellow fondant to a thickness of approx. 7mm and sandwich this between two pieces of cling film before cutting out your star shape. The cling film on top helps create clean, rounded edges whilst the cling film under the fondant prevents the shape sticking to the surface.
Step two: Carefully shape the star into a chunkier shape by rounded the tips with your fingers.
Step three: Add cute facial details with a ball tool and scallop tool. At this stage you can add eyes with springs, sugar pearls, balls of fondant etc.
Step four: Create the shooting star’s tail by rolling out ‘ropes’ of fondant that taper off.
Step five: Create three ‘ropes’ to form the tail and arrange. Glue these together with either water or melted white chocolate. Once dry attach the tail to the back of the star with melted white chocolate. Then you can add edible glitter, lustre dust, sprinkles etc!
To assemble your Shooting Star Cupcakes pipe your lemon cupcakes with the freshly made lemonade buttercream (we used a disposable piping bag fitted with an 828 piping tip) then carefully nestle a shooting star atop each once set. Place on a tiered cupcake stand amidst star shaped confetti for a playful and tempting display!